Saturday, October 24, 2009

So I got this tattoo and...

When I finished up basic training for the Navy I moved, just down the street actually, to Naval Training Command, Great Lakes. Here I would be stationed for six months and suffer through the coldest winter of my life. Made a lot of friends, after all it was my equivalent of a college dorm. Eventually some of them noticed my art work, and asked me to draw up some tattoo designs.

I never planned on getting a tattoo. I don't know if most people who have one always knew they wanted one or if it was more a place and time experience. I was just doodling in my barracks and thought, "I like this one."

I think because my personal art signature is at the epicenter of this it may appear that I am so self involved with my art that I wanted it tattooed on my body. My response to this would be a resounding no. My train of thought, in earnest, was moving toward creating something original to me. If a tattoo had my signature as apart of it then surely it wasn't just picked out off of a wall in some random tattoo parlor. So one -10 degree night I went with a friend and walked the walk.

This is a mildly unflattering photo of my back, but since this is the position I was in while I got the tattoo then this is the best way to show it. Be gentle.




2 comments:

  1. I'm a Sailor at heart. I did my 8 weeks in Orlando back in the day. Cold it was not. I then suffered through 10 months a tech school (A/C) in Pensacola. Rough. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pensacola. Must have been an airdale? I was stationed on the Kitty Hawk. That was a rough 3 and a half years :)

    ReplyDelete